IPSIndian Journal of Pharmacology
Home  IPS  Feedback Subscribe Top cited articles Login 
Users Online : 222 
Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
Navigate Here
 »   Next article
 »   Previous article
 »   Table of Contents

Resource Links
 »   Similar in PUBMED
 »Related articles
 »   Citation Manager
 »   Access Statistics
 »   Reader Comments
 »   Email Alert *
 »   Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed2547    
    Printed49    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded132    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal

 

 SHORT COMMUNICATION
Year : 2014  |  Volume : 46  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 113-116

Effect of ovarian sex hormones on non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced gastric lesions in female rats


Department of Pharmacology, University College of Medical Sciences and Gugu Teg Bahadur Hospital, New Delhi, India

Correspondence Address:
Pramod K Mediratta
Department of Pharmacology, University College of Medical Sciences and Gugu Teg Bahadur Hospital, New Delhi
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0253-7613.125191

Rights and Permissions

Objective: The objective of the following study is to investigate the effect of ovarian sex hormones on gastric ulcer in female rats. Materials and Methods: Female rats were treated daily with estrogen (0.05 and 0.1 mg/kg), progesterone (2.0 and 5.0 mg/kg), combined estrogen (0.05 mg/kg) and progesterone (2.0 mg/kg), ranitidine (30 mg/kg) or vehicle for 7 days. Ulcers were induced with aspirin on 7 th day. Four hours later, animals were sacrificed and stomach were removed for macroscopic and biochemical examination. Results: Estrogen in 0.05 and 0.1 doses showed 32% and 18% of ulcer inhibition, respectively, progesterone 09% and 14% inhibition in 2.0 and 5.0 mg/kg doses, respectively, whereas combined estrogen and progesterone showed 23% and ranitidine showed 60% inhibition. However, the inhibition attained and the stomach malondialdehyde and glutathione levels in sex hormone treated groups were not statistically significant when compared to control group. Conclusion: At the tested doses, these ovarian sex hormones neither worsen nor protect against aspirin-induced gastric lesions in female rats.






[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*


        
Print this article     Email this article

Site Map | Home | Contact Us | Feedback | Copyright and Disclaimer
Online since 20th July '04
Published by Wolters Kluwer - Medknow