| RESEARCH PAPER
|Year : 1990 | Volume
| Issue : 4 | Page : 226-230
Monitoring of phenobarbitone and incidence of adverse drug reaction of antiepileptic agents in Kashmiri population
Z Jeelani, TA Shafiqa, S Razdan
1. 62 patients who were receiving phenobarbitone either alone or in combination with phenytoin were monitored for serum phenobarbitone steady state level.
2. There was no statistical difference (p>0.05) in serum levels achieved with phenobarbitone alone (16.8˝ 5.3 'g/ml) and in combination with phenytoin (15.9˝ 7.5 'g/ml).
3. It was observed that patients on phenobarbitone alone and with drug levels above 10 'g/ml exhibited therapeutic response as compared with patients on combination. However, the patients with drug levels less than 10 'g/ml had therapeutic failure.
4. 28.8% patients showed Adverse Drug Reactions including sedation, behavioural problems, gum hypertrophy, skin eruption,cerebellar disfunction and digestive disorder.
5. Need to perform surveillance for Adverse Reactions and their relationship with dosage and plasma levels is empharized.
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None