| RESEARCH PAPER
|Year : 1984 | Volume
| Issue : 3 | Page : 139-142
Protective effect of Tinospora cardiofola miers on carbon Tetrachloride induced hepatotoxicity
B Singh, ML Sharma, DK Gupta, CK Atal, RK Arya
1. Tinospora cardifolia Miers is reputed to possess beneficial effects in liver ailments in Ayurvedic medicine.
2. Aqueous suspension of alcoholic extract was subjected to pharmacological investigations for hepatoprotective activity.
3. The extract did not effect the hexobarbitone and pentobarbitone induced sleeping time in normal rats and mice
4. In carbon tetrachloriie induced hepatic injury in rats it maintained the hexobarbitone induced sleeping time, serum glutamic oxaxacetic transaminase, glutamic pyruvic transaminase and alkaline phosphatase levels equivalent to the control values and protected the hepatic architecture.
5. It also significantly reduced bromsulphthalein clearance time in carbon tetrachloride treated rabbits and increased bile flow in rats.
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None